Orthodontics Dana Point, CA Trusts Answers: Am I too old to get braces?
An Orthodontist for Adults
In the last decade or so orthodontic care has come a long way. Up until very recently, most people believed that teeth could only be corrected during childhood. If they were not, an adult would have to live with their natural set of teeth forever. This is not true. At John Redmond Orthodontics, we create beautiful smiles for people of all ages.
Our patients are not limited to children. Rather, we treat adults of all ages with misaligned or crooked teeth, as well as other alignment issues. Our adult patients have benefited from a significant improvement in their self esteem, and more. If you would like to know more about our services for orthodontics in Dana Point, CA, call our clinic today.
Issues Our Dana Point, CA Orthodontics Clinic Treats
As a leading clinic for orthodontics in Dana Point, CA, we have treated patients who have suffered from:
- A reduction of tooth enamel
- Chronic jaw pain
- Gum loss
- Bone loss
- Crooked teeth
- Overbite or underbite
- + More
Our Dana Point, California orthodontics clinic can address and treat all of these issues, and more. If you would like to schedule a consultation, please call John Redmond Orthodontics.
Braces for Adults
As an adult who may be interested in orthodontics in Dana Point, CA, you might wonder whether or not you need braces. If this is a question you are unsure about, you can speak with your dentist at your next annual check up. Most dentists can examine your teeth and give you an idea of what may work for you. If you don’t have a dentist or have recently had a checkup, we invite you to schedule an appointment with our orthodontist in Dana Point, California.
Types of Braces for Adults
If you are a candidate for adult braces, your orthodontist may talk to you about a few options. They include:
Metal Braces – These are the most common type of braces. Not only are they very effective at fixing a number of alignment problems. Metal braces are also cost efficient and do not have a lot of upkeep.
Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces are not as visible as metal braces. They are usually only placed on the top set of teeth and are more costly. Ceramic braces are also easier to break which is why they are typically only recommended to adults.
Lingual Braces – Braces placed on the back of the teeth are called lingual braces. They are costly and require extensive upkeep. Our orthodontics in Dana Point, CA can help you to understand whether or not you are a candidate for lingual braces.
Invisible Braces – Invisible braces are a type of clear aligner. They are removable and only suited to people who have mild to moderate alignment issues. Invisible braces are also more expensive than other types of braces and require frequent visits to the orthodontist.
Would You Like to Know More About Adult Orthodontic Care?
If you are an adult and interested in orthodontics in Dana Point, CA, please call John Redmond Orthodontics.
Orthodontics Dana Point, CA Trusts Answers: Am I too old to get braces?
A patient who is considering receiving braces or some other type of orthodontic treatment, can get their questions answered by speaking with our team at John Redmond Orthodontics about Orthodontics Dana Point, CA residents trust. Children and adults can both benefit from braces if they have misalignments, an overbite, an underbite, or a structural jaw issue. The first step towards correcting an issue of this sort is to meet with a trusted professional who practices Orthodontics Dana Point, CA patients depend on for care.
Q: What happens before braces are put on my teeth?
A: Before confirming a patient needs braces, an orthodontist will gather information regarding past dental history, plans for treatment, placement of brackets, and predicting what the outcome will look like once complete. An orthodontist may recommend getting x-rays or running other diagnostics before suggesting this is the right treatment path for you.
Q: What can I eat with braces?
A: Having braces does not mean you must completely change your dietary habits to only bland, pureed foods. It’s more about if you do eat foods that are sugary or sticky, that you pay extra close attention when cleaning (or brushing your teeth more often throughout the day). By speaking with us regarding Orthodontics Dana Point, CA families trust, we can tell you about how certain foods may impact your braces, helping empower you to make the right choices regarding your diet:
- Fruits: soft fruits cut into pieces are probably going to be less difficult to chew and swallow, compared to biting into hard fruits directly with your teeth.
- Bread: sugars may be added to certain bread types, which can contribute to plaque buildup on and between teeth. Try to stick to products with less sugar, like whole wheat bread.
- Vegetables: avoid raw vegetables that are hard, such as cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli. Softer options like leafy greens or steamed vegetables are best.
- Dairy: milk and dairy products are not likely to cause an issue, except for cheese may get wedged between braces and teeth.
- Nuts and seeds: Small nuts and seeds can get easily trapped between brackets and wires, which can damage braces. A better option may be to consume nut butters and seeds that are ground instead.
- Meat: certain meats that are stringy may get caught in braces, especially if you are pulling it off the bone yourself with your teeth. A more effective approach can be to remove the meat, chop it into smaller pieces, and opt for tender cuts.
Q: If I’m an adult, is it too late to get braces?
A: While braces are commonly applied during childhood years, braces are not just for children. Braces can be a great resource for anyone who desires improvements in their teeth. Adult dental treatments have become increasingly popular, since many patients desire to preserve their enamel so they don’t have to get veneer or crown implants in the future.
Many of our mature patients are surprised when a dentist recommends that they consider orthodontics Dana Point, CA residents trusts, particularly when it comes to getting braces. After all, aren’t braces just for kids? In actuality, they are not. For many of the same reasons that braces are beneficial to children, braces can also improve the quality of life for our adult patients. In fact, one in five orthodontic patients are over the age of eighteen, according to the American Association of Orthodontists.
Q: How should I floss and brush with braces?
A: Flossing and brushing for someone with braces can pose a challenge, as braces can get in the way of removing food material between teeth. Brush each wire, tooth and then rinse. To floss, thread carefully between the wire brackets so you can get between your gums and teeth. You will have to rethread between each wire for every set of teeth.
Q: What should mature patients know about wearing braces?
A: As a human ages, natural changes in the body occur. For instance, after a certain age, the bones stop growing. When a child is fitted with braces, it is understood that their bones will change as they grow and this is taken into account.
- As an adult, your orthodontist may recommend one or more surgical procedures to accommodate the braces as your bones are less forgiving than that of a growing child’s.
- As an adult, you may need to wear braces for a longer period of time as compared to a child’s. Your professional of orthodontics Dana Point, CA residents depend on, can provide you with an estimated treatment length and when you can expect that wearing braces will no longer be necessary.
Q: How do braces work?
A: Your orthodontist can explain how treatment will affect your particular teeth structure. However, as a general explanation, braces place pressure on the patient’s teeth with the goal of moving them into alignment. Some patients will need to have one or more teeth removed in order to make room in their mouth for the proper movement.
- Braces rely on brackets mounted to the teeth. Archwires thread through the brackets and are attached to the molars. The wires apply pressure to the teeth which causes them to move over time.
- The wires can be almost invisible, or colored to suit the patient’s preferences and style.
About Our Team at John Redmond Orthodontics
At John Redmond Orthodontics, we treat patients of all ages; from the very young to individuals in their advanced years. If you believe you may benefit from orthodontics Dana Point, CA families trust, particularly regarding wearing braces, contact us today to schedule an exam with our orthodontist to learn more.
The Need for Wearing Braces
Not everyone who needed braces as a child was able to get them. Their family may not have had the financial resources to pay for them, or maybe they lived in an area where orthodontic treatment was not available. As adults, the need for braces may not have waned and now that they have the ability to properly take care of their teeth, they may seek orthodontic care from John Redmond Orthodontics.
We welcome new patients who would like to explore the many advantages of having teeth that are correctly aligned. Here are some of the most popular reasons for why patients choose to get braces as adults:
- Enjoy an improved smile.
- Feel proud of your beautiful teeth.
- Be more comfortable when chewing and swallowing because your jaw is properly aligned.
- Clean your teeth more easily when brushing and flossing.
- In some cases, a realignment of one’s teeth can improve one’s speech patterns.
To learn more about how braces may be a solution for you, contact us at John Redmond Orthodontics, as we will be pleased to schedule an exam for orthodontics Dana Point, CA patients depend on.